March 16, 2016 | American Enterprise Institute
- Governments and the international business community are currently embroiled in a conflict over the appropriate balance between individual privacy and legal government surveillance.
- International companies and governments must consider how to resolve issues such as backdoors that permit surveillance by local authorities, encryption, localization of data storage, and the transfer of citizens’ personal data across national borders.
- The international community must work together to achieve a multilateral agreement for what constitutes legal surveillance and what ensures protection of individual privacy, while considering the potential actions of countries such as China and Russia.
- Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, Pub. L. No. 90-351, 82 Stat. 197 (1968), Title III‐8.
- Federal Communications Commission, “Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act,” November 24, 2014,www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/communications-assistance-law-enforcement-act.
- Spencer Ante and Ryan Knutson, “U.S. Tightens Grip on Telecom,” Wall Street Journal, August 27, 2013,http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324906304579037292831912078.
- US Department of Justice, “CALEA FAQs—No. 5,” http://askcalea.fbi.gov/faqs.html.
- Evan Perez, “Secret Court’s Oversight Gets Scrutiny,” Wall Street Journal, June 9, 2013,http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324904004578535670310514616.
- Sally Quillian Yates, testimony before the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, July 8, 2015, https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/deputy-attorney-general-sally-quillian-yates-delivers-oral-testimony-senate-judiciary; and James B. Comey, testimony before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, July 8, 2015,https://www.fbi.gov/news/testimony/counterterrorism-counterintelligence-and-the-challenges-of-going-dark.
- Draft Investigatory Powers Bill, November 2015 (Eng.).
- Ibid., 16–19.
- Republic of France, LOI no. 2015-912 du 24 juillet 2015 relative au renseignement (1), January 24, 2015,http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/eli/loi/2015/7/24/PRMX1504410L/jo/texte.
- Caroline Copley, “German Parliament Okays Law to Store Telephone and Internet Data,” Reuters, October 16, 2015.
- Mirko Hohmann, “German Bundestag Passes New Data Retention Law,”Lawfare, October 16, 2015.